Tuesday, September 20, 2011

The Way Back to Greece

Near the end of my stay in Oregon, my hosts, the Lubliners, took me out to the central Oregon Coast. This is quite different from what I was used to from Florida and Greece! It is very rugged and only the very hearty go swimming in the cold water (even in July!)

Popadija Esther and I went for a walk on the top of some relatively small sand dunes (caused by the nearly nonstop strong winds). Above, you can see we slid down one sand dune.

Look how we were bundled up in the middle of summer!

On my way back to Greece, I stopped in Los Angeles for a few days to visit Bishop Maxim and the headquarters of the Western American Diocese of the Serbian Orthodox Church. This was my first time in Southern California and I was very impressed by the weather.

Finally, I headed back to Greece near the end of July. I had a long 9 hour layover in Rome, so I went into the city for a few hours to visit some of the 5th century churches. At one of them, I noticed this contraption above. You drop your coin into a slot (like a vending machine) and one of the electric candles lights up at random for a certain amount of time!

For more photos from Crater Lake and the Oregon Coast, click here.

No comments: