Friday, December 22, 2006

Our Trip to Mount Athos




Well, Roger Michael and I just returned from our trip to the Holy Mountain. Over the next couple days, we'll post our photos. We left Panorama about 5 AM on Wednesday and took a cab to the bus station. From there, it was about 2.5 hours to Ouranopoli. Then we caught the 'slow boat' to Dafni, which took another 2.5 hours. There, we switched to another boat which took us down to our first stop, the Holy Monastery of Dionysiou.


These photos are of the beginning of our trip. The first is of the sunrise at Ouranopoli, the departure point for Mt Athos.


The second is of Roger Michael (RM) looking out the window of the boat as we began passing some of the monasteries.


The third is of RM looking off the back of the boat, with Mt Athos along the right.


Click here for a map of Mt Athos.


Click here to see all our photos in a slideshow.


RM also will add some 'guest blogging,' as I'm sure you all could use a break from me. Here's what he had to say on the beginning of the trip:

"The sun is risen on a long anticipated day. Our trip to Mt. Athos. I cannot imagine what awaits us. I have all the preconceived notions as to what a monastery is and I am sure I am probably wrong. I have come all the way to Greece for my first trip to a men’s monastery and I am glad Greg is with me to guide me along the way."

No comments: