Thursday, September 07, 2006

The Holy Mountain, Part 3: The Kellis (Cell) of the Holy Trinity




Frs. Pavlos and Christodoulos are the only monks at this cell, which is under the Monastery of Koutloumousiou. When they arrived, it had been abandoned for about 10 years and they completely renovated it. The centerpiece is the chapel, which dates to about 1700 (the bottom photo is of me in the chapel). The alternating red and blue colors are handmade pigments. The top photo is Kyr (Mr) Panagioti coming out the main entrance of the cell into the grapevine-covered courtyard.

The fathers were wonderful hosts, and before I left they said I could come visit "whenever I want." I don't know if they meant that literally, but I'm certainly taking it that way! ( :

As I mentioned before, there are many more photos here (with captions): http://picasaweb.google.com/j.gregory.edwards/MtAthos46Sept2006

Let me know how you like the web album format...

No comments: