Thursday, September 07, 2006

The Holy Mountain, Part 2


The trip went like this: We left Panorama about 9:30 AM in the church's mini-van. It took about 2 hours to get to Ouranopolis. There we took a small boat to the port of Daphne, about a 30 min ride. Our hosts, Frs. Pavlos and Christodoulos, actually met us in Ouranapolis (I think they had come in to do some errands) and when we arrived in Daphne they had a quarter-ton Ford pick-up truck that we all squeezed into. Their cell, Holy Trinity, is located near (and a dependence of) the Monastery of Koutloumousiou (see map).

At first I was surprised at Daphne -- there were paved roads, cafes, cell phones ringing -- but then we soon hit the dirt roads. (It seems the only paved roads are in Daphne and Karyes.) Here are a couple photos I took from the back of the truck. I rode in the back of the truck a lot as went to visit the different monasteries -- it was better than walking, but it was VERY dusty! I felt like I was covered in dust.

No comments: